[Magdalen] Everett @ the DMV.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue May 10 18:14:38 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/10/2016 1:50:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Israeli  kids typically take a gap year following their army service and
before they  start college or go to work  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't mean to sound like a martyr, but my parents would not have
permitted
this, at least if the parents were to help with college costs.   So each
summer,
with no break, I finished the college term, and then worked all summer  for
the Wisconsin Highway Department, largely helping with a survey team
for future road construction projects.  There was then a weekend for  moving
back to UW-Madison for the next school year.

If I had traveled about to see some of the world, I'm sure I'd have  been
more mature with such a year off, but such was impractical with medical
school
in the plans.  Christmas and Spring  Breaks were all about  studying, too.

I finished dermatology residency at UM-Minneapolis on 1 July 66, and
was on active duty at Ft. Sam Houston by 15 July 66, and on duty
in Frankfurt/M, Germany by 1 October 66.

David Strang.