[Magdalen] Everett @ the DMV.

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Tue May 10 22:47:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016, at 02:53 PM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> I know I would have benefited greatly from a gap year, even just to
> decide
> whether college was for me at that time or not, but my parents would not
> hear of it. It was push-push-push all the time. As a result, I was
> completely unready for college and f**ed it up completely, making a poor
> choice of colleges, then transferring and flunking out. I was far too
> immature to be in college, period. When I went back after my year out I
> did
> pretty well, on balance, but then I messed up by getting married (to
> someone completely wrong for me) and dropped out again to go to work.
> After
> that I didn't go back until I decided to go to nursing school in my
> 30s....and graduated magna, but that's a whole other story.

I wish I would have taken some time. There was much learning I needed
before college. Even just a year of learning to live on my own, without
Mom and Dad right there. I don't know if it would have made much
difference in my (lack of) college success, but I suspect it would
either of made some difference or at least made me aware of other
options (either permanent choices or choices to allow a further delay
before college).

Kristin

--
  Kristin Rollins