[Magdalen] For Ann Markle - black Madonna of Montserrat

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed May 11 17:47:42 UTC 2016

Yes, Eleanor, I have been to Montserrat.  She is a beauty, indeed.  They
call her "La Moreneta" in common parlance -- "The Little Brown One."  I
love that.  People who have black madonnas are fiercely loyal to and fond
and proud of them -- often they think "theirs" is the only black madonna in
existence.  Our hotelier in Barcelona (FABULOUS city, incidentally -- I
highly recommend it) was surprised to learn that there are dozens all over
Europe.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY