[Magdalen] Whither Pentecost Sequence.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sun May 15 19:11:24 UTC 2016

In our Byzantine tradition, we have the Kneeling Prayers on Pentecost and readthe Gospel in various  languages on Easter or a Sunday close to it. The Slav read the Gospel of John 1 on Pascha. The Greeks read the Gospel of the Appearance of Jesus at Vespers of Agape, the Arabs read the Gospel of Thomas on the Sunday after Pascha.
The official beginning of Kneeling begins at Kneeling Vespers which follow immediately or shortly (post coffee) after the Liturgy.  We were told that the rubric to sing the first verse of the Veni Creator on our knees was the Western Church's version of Kneeling Prayers.

There is also the tradition of a most solemn celebration of the Office of Terce (9AM) and chant the Veni Creator at that point (not on our knees

JoeJoe