[Magdalen] Whither Pentecost Sequence.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sun May 15 20:04:07 UTC 2016

There is a footnote in the Roman Missal -Novus ordo that where it has been the tradition to observe to observe Whit Monday and Whit Tuesday, these celebrations may continue. This is good newsfor Echternachs in Luxembourg where the Dancing Procession has been going on for centuries every Whit Tuesday. I used to have the theme on one of my old computers.

Then from the "font of all rumors" there is the ecclesiastical urban legend, that after the promulgation of the Novus Ordo, the next Monday after Pentecost was a day in Ordinary Time.
Paul VI went to the sacristy to vest for Mass, and found green vestments. The Pope asked "Why no Red vestments." He was told the octave had been suppressed. He asked, "Who decided this?"
The answer came, "You did, Holy Father." The Pope is reported to have broken down in tears.

Of course the Byzantine Rite still meaintains the after feast. Our bulletin stated that the Leavetaking of Pentecost is May 21 (for the Gregorian calendar)

The church of St Eugene in Paris follows. the 1962 Missal with its own variations. Their bulletin announced missa cantatas at 7:30 each evening of the octave with a 9:30AM Mass of Saturday for the Ember Days.

Joe