[Magdalen] speaking of critters...

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Mon May 16 04:32:32 UTC 2016

As I was at my computer tonight, I heard a sound from the garage, which
is attached to the house and opens into it through a side door.  The
garage also has a door to the outside and an elderly and very creaky
roll-up garage door which takes considerable effort to open.  In the
garage, by the house door, is a shelf upon which sits the big screw-top
bin in which the cat kibble resides.  (You can tell what's coming, can't
you?)

So: hearing a noise, I investigated.  The small cat carrier had slipped
from the shelf to the floor -- probably just Lady Gravity, I thought,
until I glanced up as I picked up the carrier and saw a small furry face
with a mask and beady eyes peering over the top of the cat food bin.
Which was open. The raccoon was *in* the kibble, having a lovely nosh.

The raccoon and I had a long, thoughtful stand-off, during which the
beast made threatening noises and slightly clawed my right index finger
when i reached toward the bin.  Um.  With a broom handle, I carefully
manouevred the bin lid onto the bin and quickly twirled it shut.
Raccoon now trapped.  After dealing with finger wound, I could examine
the scene at leisure.  Said beast had somehow managed to pry up the BIG
garage door (heavy, remember?) Jeez, they're remarkable...

Raccoon transported to outdoor and dumped from cat food.  All garage
doors secured against invasion.

I am feeling fairly clever, all things considered.

Molly