[Magdalen] Annual Meeting "clerking"

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat May 21 23:34:56 UTC 2016

My dear partner (now a professed monk!) has graciously offered to
record the audio of the proceedings with his handy-dandy high-tech
gizmo, so I can focus on tippy-tapping my way to detailed minutes on
my laptop. I'm preparing the outline in OneNote. Fortunately, our
detail-oriented priest-in-charge has already distributed a PowerPoint
deck with slides that further break down many of the main topics into
the next level of headings, so I can build those in, too. I'll start
each line item with the surname of the speaker and capture the gist of
what they're saying; I can type fast enough almost to catch every
word, especially with the um-and-ah speakers (most of them, and I'd be
one). Someone makes a motion? Simply type their surname, then a
virgule, then the surname of the seconder (which Robert also doesn't
think needs recording...I agree; if a vote is recorded, it can be
assumed it was seconded, but I will record the name anyway). Then
"carried" or "defeated." But there should be less of that in an annual
meeting: issues unexpectedly raised in a motion most likely should be
proposed to the vestry. Our main vote in the annual meeting is for the
warden, three vestrymen, and three delegates to diocesan convention.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA