[Magdalen] Annual Meeting "clerking"

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat May 21 22:29:25 UTC 2016

I suspect that Gen. Robert assumed the meeting was a routine meeting.  If
the meeting is contentious, that would not be a helpful way of recording
the proceedings. Just because somebody many years ago had an opinion
certainly doesn't even come close to settling the matter.  I assume his
attitude, understandable in my opinion, is that he does not care who said
what, who opposed or argued; he only cares what the meeting decided. The
assumption would be that the meeting was of people of sound mind who knew
what they were doing, and gave the best decision they could, based on,
etc., etc.

Since the matter is hardly settled, it would be best to have this question
settled one way or the other in advance of the meeting.

Or the recorder can say, "This is what I'm going to do. If you want
something else, I will happily defer to another recorder, but this is the
way *I* am going to do it. Just sayin' ."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford