[Magdalen] funeral planning

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:44:09 UTC 2016

You need to place your funeral into the hands -- legally -- of a person you
trust. It could be as simple as designating the place and celebrant, or you
can get some lawyer to certify the whole thing. You can do this. But if you
don't make it clear before you die, well, yeah, they can do whatever they
want to do.

You can always tell them that you are planning your funeral, and if they
wish to do something else, they can have a memorial service at their own
time on their own dime.  That's abundantly fair.

While I can imagine the family wanting whatever they might want (and, to be
sure, the funeral is indeed for the living), I just cannot imagine how
despicable a group could be to go against the express wishes of a person
still living as to how his or her funeral ought to be done.

It's your last wish, fer cryin' out loud.  What a bunch of scumbag assholes.

And I apologize for being over the top angry about this, but wow, how
narcissistic can these twits get?

On the other hand, I think what they are doing is better than the folks who
just say nothing, then go ahead and do whatever they want.  I recall
friends of mine who were professional singers were good friends of Lowell
Thomas. He had children by his first wife and after her death married his
secretary. It was a good marriage. When he died, the children swooped in
and took control of everything and threw the widow out of the house. They
had just been waiting life vultures. They had it all planned.  My friends
were planning to sing at his funeral, and the widow called them up in tears
saying the entire affair was out of her hands.

So, yes, it could be worse.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford