[Magdalen] funeral planning

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:55:17 UTC 2016

My brothers and I had to plan our parents' funerals. Both were Rite II, no
Eucharist. Dad's I would describe as somewhat upright and sturdy, as
befitted a former naval officer who had become a university professor and
became an Episcopalian late in life, after a long spell as an agnostic,
when he came to the conclusion that all the questions he'd had "really
didn't matter". We sang nice sturdy hymns that he loved, too..."Love
Divine" and his favorite, "Immortal, Invisible", which he'd been taught in
the Navy by his chaplain, Sam Wylie, who was then a Presbyterian but would
later become an Episcopalian and eventually Bishop of Northern Michigan.
Also, of course, the Navy Hymn. My mom's, on the other hand, was mostly
very gentle and joyful, with hymns she loved and had sung to us as
children: "Fairest Lord Jesus", "Amazing Grace", and "Lord of All
Hopefulness, Lord of All Joy". But one thing we had all agreed on that we
remembered her singing best was the lullaby "All Through the Night". I know
there's a hymn to that tune, but I don't care for the words and neither did
one of my brothers, so we asked if it could be played or sung before the
service. As it turned out, the organist found a choir member with a
beautiful soprano voice who was free that afternoon, and she sang the
lullaby before the service. As the postlude, I asked the organist to play
my mother's favorite Easter hymn, "Welcome, Happy Morning" with all the
stops out. I'm pretty sure she would have liked that.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Ginga Wilder <gingawilder at gmail.com