[Magdalen] Swenska Pannkakor.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 19:41:23 UTC 2016

My Cousin Connie mentioned this week that she had made her
grandmother's Swedish pancakes from a recipe she discovered looking
through an old cookbook.

I recall eating these pancakes that more closely resemble crepes
served up by Grandma Chellman who lived at Connie's home the last
10 years of her life.  Swedish pancakes were usually served with
lingonberries.

What a treat that was, though my mother, always suspicious of  anything
Swedish (and not Norwegian), preferred the American hotcake version.

Grandma Chellman was an immigrant from the far north of Sweden,
and looked rather like an older Oriental woman in, say, Hong Kong.
her looks betrayed the fact that she was 100% Laplander/Sami, and
when she left Sweden Sami were considered second class
citizens.  The tide has turned in all the Scandinavian countries,  and
the Sami are protected as national treasures.

It turns out that I am 4% Sami.

I see that IHop has something they call Swedish pancakes.  There  isn't
an IHop nearby for me to verify.

David S.