[Magdalen] BLT.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Nov 4 16:09:55 UTC 2016

On 11/4/16 9:39 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> You and Martha Stewart who makes nearly everything from scratch.
> I did see her, gasp, use some bottled lemon on a lemon cake recently,
> though.

> Now THAT'S something I've been meaning to branch  into.  In small batches,
> of course, as I'm sure I don't have any calcium  disodium EDTA on hand (the
> only "preservative", apparently, listed in the Best  Foods ingredients) to
> keep it alive forever in my fridge.
>
> And looking  at my Best Foods label right now, I'd never, ever noticed
> "Known as Hellman's  east of the Rockies" before!

As a doctor, of course, you know all about salmonella. I made mayo half
my life with backyard eggs before it suddenly was everywhere in the
cooking and nutrition sections about a certain percentage of US eggs
having salmonella in them.  Of all the raw eggs I've eaten, (never
straight, always as an ingredient in something or other that didn't get
cooked, for example a favorite blender/yogurt/plus drink) I never did
get a tummy-ache from them, much less a serious case.  But the newspaper
scared me off anyway.  Some years after that, I read about how to
pasteurize your own eggs at home.  Never have felt energetic enough to
do that step, though--just got out of the habit of raw-egg recipes.

Never used disodium EDTA, never had a problem with it spoiling.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net