[Magdalen] Wireless servers

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Sat Nov 5 19:44:20 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 18:21, Jo Craddock wrote:
> Jo, who is convinced the British plan to foil the Germans, next time, is with irregular and missing road signs
You put me in mind of a genuine story from my small parish of Radbourne.
Some years ago, the Squire who (like his family since the Norman
Conquest) owned all the property and land in the parish, was chairing
the Parish Meeting and was asked by one of the public "I recently moved
into the parish, and my friends cannot find the village. Could we have
some signposts?"
"We used to have them" came the reply. Squire then thought for a time
then he said "Oh yes, we took them down during the war!" This had been
some 30 or more years before. The signs in question were still stored
away in the basement of Radbourne Hall!
Quite why it had been thought that invading Germans would want to find
the village was a mystery!

On another occasion the squire was chairing a meeting to plan the annual
Church Fete and asked "Who will organise the Grand Daraw?" The recently
arrived Rector intervened and said that he objected to money being
raised for the church by means of a lottery, but that he would let it go
ahead just this once. The following year, at the same meeting, the
squire once again asked who would organise the Grand Draw. The Rector
(appropriately Rev. Pratt) rose to his full height, and declared "I made
it clear last year that I cannot approve a lottery in aid of church
funds. If a lottery is organised, I shall resign!"
"Accepted." replied the Squire and went on to organise it. The Rector
left the parish without further ado..

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name

Rector of Boylestone, Church Broughton, Dalbury, Longford, Long Lane, Sutton-on-the-Hill & Trusley

Diocese of Derby, England