[Magdalen] Wireless servers

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 5 21:42:03 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 19:44, Michael Bishop wrote:
> On 05/11/2016 18:21, Jo Craddock wrote:
>> Jo, who is convinced the British plan to foil the Germans, next time,
>> is with irregular and missing road signs
> You put me in mind of a genuine story from my small parish of
> Radbourne. Some years ago, the Squire who (like his family since the
> Norman Conquest) owned all the property and land in the parish, was
> chairing the Parish Meeting and was asked by one of the public "I
> recently moved into the parish, and my friends cannot find the
> village. Could we have some signposts?"
> "We used to have them" came the reply. Squire then thought for a time
> then he said "Oh yes, we took them down during the war!" This had been
> some 30 or more years before. The signs in question were still stored
> away in the basement of Radbourne Hall!
> Quite why it had been thought that invading Germans would want to find
> the village was a mystery!
>
> On another occasion the squire was chairing a meeting to plan the
> annual Church Fete and asked "Who will organise the Grand Daraw?" The
> recently arrived Rector intervened and said that he objected to money
> being raised for the church by means of a lottery, but that he would
> let it go ahead just this once. The following year, at the same
> meeting, the squire once again asked who would organise the Grand
> Draw. The Rector (appropriately Rev. Pratt) rose to his full height,
> and declared "I made it clear last year that I cannot approve a
> lottery in aid of church funds. If a lottery is organised, I shall
> resign!"
> "Accepted." replied the Squire and went on to organise it. The Rector
> left the parish without further ado..

I am reminded of "The Vicar of Dibley" and the confusion (in what
etymologically seems to be the original sense of the word) between the
civil Parish Council and the Partochial Church Council. In a different
context I am anticipating some confusion between the areas of
responsibility of two school-related bodies, both of which I chair, as
they get used to their separation. Some clear direction from the Chair
will probably be needed as until now there has been one body fulfilling
both roles in relation to one school. As of last Tuesday that is no
longer the case.

Roger