[Magdalen] Next Steps

Kate Conant kate.conant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:08:57 UTC 2016

Tim Kaine is not a progressive.  The Democratic Party has been neoliberal
for way too long.  Perhaps it should die along with the Clinton machine
(and Manchin machine in West Virginia).

Michael Moore has just posted his To-Do List for today:

Michael Moore <https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf>
7 mins <https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10153915876426857> ·
<https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10153915876426857#>

Day Two's To-Do List:
1. Must quickly and decisively form an opposition movement, the likes of
which hasn't been seen since the 1960s. I will do my part to help lead this
as I'm sure many others (Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, MoveOn, the hip-hop
community, DFA, etc.) will, too. The core of this opposition force will be
fueled by young people who, as with Occupy Wall Street and Black Lives
Matter, don't tolerate b.s. and are relentless in their resistance to
authority. They have no interest in compromising with racists and
misogynists.

2. Prepare to impeach Trump. Just as the Republicans were already planning
to do with President Hillary from Day One, we must organize the apparatus
that will bring charges against him when he violates his oath and breaks
the law -- and then we must remove him from office.

3. Must commit right now to a vigorous fight (including civil disobedience,
if necessary) which will block any and all Donald Trump Supreme Court
nominees who do not meet our approval. We demand the Democrats in the
Senate aggressively filibuster any nominees who support Citizens United or
who oppose the rights of women, immigrants and the poor. This is
non-negotiable.

4. Demand the DNC apologize to Bernie Sanders for trying to fix the
primaries against him, for spinning the press to ignore his historic
campaign, for giving Clinton the questions in advance at the Flint debate,
for its latent ageism and anti-Semism in trying to turn voters against him
because of his age or religious beliefs, and for its anti-democracy system
of "superdelegates" who are elected by no one. We all know now had Bernie
been given a fair shot, he probably would have been the nominee and he --
as the true outsider and "change" candidate --would have inspired and fired
up the base and soundly defeated Donald Trump. If no apology is soon
forthcoming from the DNC, that's ok -- when we take over the Democratic
Party (see yesterday's To-Do List, #1), we will issue the apology in
person.

5. Demand that President Obama establish a Special Prosecutor to
investigate who and what was behind FBI Director James Comey's illegal
interference into the Presidential election 11 days before the vote was
held.

6. Begin a national push while it's fresh in everyone's mind for a
constitutional amendment to fix our broken electoral system: 1. Eliminate
the Electoral College -- popular vote only. 2. Paper ballots only -- no
electronic voting. 3. Election Day must be made a holiday for all -- or
held on a weekend so more people vote. 4. All citizens, regardless of any
run-ins with the criminal "justice" system, must have the right to vote.
(In swing states like Florida and Virginia, 30-40% of all Black men are
prohibited by law from voting.)

7. Convince President Obama to immediately do what he should have done a
year ago: Send in the Army Corps of Engineers to Flint to dig up and
replace all the poisoned pipes. NOTHING HAS CHANGED; the water in Flint is
still unusable.

Will try to get these done by sundown. More To-Do tomorrow...
--Michael Moore
<https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reaction/profile/browser/?ft_ent_identifier=10154561231336147&av=744476146>
Here is his post from yesterday:

Michael Moore
<https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf>
Yesterday at 10:13am
<https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10153913074756857> ·
<https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10153915876426857#>

Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have
failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who
had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or
acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell
us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey
like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready
to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President
Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those
of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the
madness that's about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you
mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to
your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both
parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew.
Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and
tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never
a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature
and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON
WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred
Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this
morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority
of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's
president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the
Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents
we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of
its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe
women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college
education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the
minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care
system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority
agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to
make that happen (see: #1 above).

Let's try to get this all done by noon today.
-- Michael Moore

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, love mercy, and walk
humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8