[Magdalen] Leonard Cohen +RIP+

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 03:29:04 UTC 2016

Your mentioning Karl Haas and WJR brought back some lovely memories, Scott. My recollection is that his program, "Adventures in Good Music," was on at 10am on weekdays. One of the benefits of being sick and having to stay home from school was getting to lie in bed and listen to that program. It opened with the opening bars of the second movement of Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata and his cheery greeting, which you replicated so well!
Haas was the speaker at the U of M School of Music Honors Convocation my senior year. He had been the director of the Interlochen program for a number of years by then. I remember only one thing he said, and that was something to the effect that you were truly a musician if you would drive 50 miles because you needed to hear a concert.
The next year, living in Flint, I did just that on several occasions!

I wonder if any of those old programs are still available from WJR--I should contact them.