[Magdalen] Leonard Cohen +RIP+

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 02:46:27 UTC 2016

You're not alone, David!

In my case, I think it's that I'm a child of the 70s more than the
60s. And we were living in the Milwaukee and Detroit outer suburbs,
not known for being the home of cutting-edge music fans. I took after
my dad's love for radio; he constantly listened to the big general
radio station wherever we were: WTMJ in Milwaukee and WJR in Detroit,
which still played at least some music but it was of the decidedly
middle-of-the-road sort: Ann Murray, Dionne Warwick, Barry Manilow.
WJR had an hour of classical every afternoon with Karl Haas ("Hel-LO
everyone!"). The point is that I was content to listen to this until
later high school years when I discovered some rock-and-roll and live
concerts (Boston! ELO! Foreigner! Doobie Brothers!).

The closest I got to getting to know the more thoughtful songsters of
the 60s was hearing Cat Stevens, Joan Baez, and Simon & Garfunkel.

I even went through a "beautiful music" phase where I actually tuned
into stations that played Mantovani, 1001 Strings, and Henry Mancini.

I honestly thought Leonard Cohen had to do with Broadway musicals, or
film soundtracks.

I'll accept a lovely parting gift as my consolation prize, Alex.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA