[Magdalen] Leonard Cohen +RIP+

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 08:25:26 UTC 2016

In a message dated 11/13/2016 1:37:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

I  remember listening to Karl Haas on AFN (Armed Forces Network) when I was
in  Europe.  He had some interesting  insights.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe it was he on one of these programs, that in Hass  opinion, the
greatest of all symphonies was the First Symphony of Edward Elgar,
the most well known of the trio of English/Irish composers over the
turn of the 19th/20th centuries (the other two: Charles V. Stanford
and Hubert Charles Parry).  All three were knighted.

I like Elgar (and the others), but I'm not sure I'd agree with Haas
statement. Elgar held the position of O/C of Worcester Cathedral
even though he was Roman Catholic.  He wrote some lovely
compositions for the Latin Rite.

And who can forget the graduation "Pomp & Circumstance?"

David S.