[Magdalen] Remembered radio, was Re: NPR now

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:32:57 UTC 2016

In my high-school years, Detroit had a richly varied mix of music
stations. CKLW was the top 40 blowtorch, but rock-and-roll was on FM,
notably WRIF and WABX. These stations lacked the juvenile banter of
today's DJs, preferring rich-voiced men and women who focused on the
music and inserted minimal talk. WABX was known for having DJs who
basically said little except the occasional "ABX." between tracks, and
when they did say more it was really similar to classical DJs: a quiet
list of what we just heard in the last half-hour or even hour and what
to expect in the next. Sure, they had commercials--they weren't in
radio for their health--but for the most part they eschewed the sort
of incessant empty banter-with-themselves that DJs indulge in now.

I consider my senior year of listening to ABX and RIF as an important
part of my music education: what helped in this was how seriously the
DJs took the music. A few of them were also experts at juxtaposing
tracks in ways that added meaning or followed a theme.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA