[Magdalen] the first monochromatic day

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Nov 16 15:18:13 UTC 2016

In a message dated 11/16/2016 8:49:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

the warm  tones of our many brick buildings help
with the general  gloom.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the north of Germany, where there is little usable building stone,
they resorted to brick instead, and most medieval buildings are of
brick and not the usual stone.  Some art historians give the
impression that brick is a cheap and second rate building material,
but I've always found these brick buildings warm and lovely.

The gothic revivalists in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
knew of the attractive aspects of brick. and sometimes finished
off their structure interiors with brick, even if the exterior was
stone.  An example of this is Saint Mark's Cathedral,  Minneapolis,
which has a greyish limestone exterior, but a warm tan brick
interior.

Brick is also great for church music acoustics.

David S.