[Magdalen] A question for the organists who are on the list...

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:15:06 UTC 2016

Sheila, you certainly need to get your fee, if that is the arrangement. What I don't understand is why, if you're the organist, you aren't automatically called first. Everywhere I've been, it is assumed the church organist does funerals, unless they aren't available. That was true when I was the church music director and wherever I've been as priest. And whoever actually played for the service got the fee, though when I was vicar, there was usually no charge if the deceased was a member and the organist was the regular one. Sometimes the family gave a fee anyway.
I hope you're able to work this out--you certainly need to get paid.
You might want to think about a different arrangement for your next job. At the very least, you should have first refusal for any funeral services.
Just my $ .02 worth,
Grace