[Magdalen] Bishops' choices of funeral hymns

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:23:03 UTC 2016

Well, the first question would be whether or not it is in your hymnal. If
it isn't, that would explain why you might not have heard of it.

I went through years of attending church, however, it must be said, and I
never even knew of Engelbert. An incredibly wonderful hymn, and it just
never was played. Ever. It was intended by Charles Villiers Stanford as the
tune of "For all the Saints, who", but it lost out to Ralph Vaughn Adagio's
nameless efforts.

Then, one day Kathleen Pearson programmed it, and it was as if the
floodgates were opened. I heard it numerous times, with different words. It
has three sets of lyrics in the 1982 hymnal, none of which are those for
which it was written. Fascinating!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford