[Magdalen] Seasonal music

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 17:52:20 UTC 2016

In a message dated 11/29/2016 12:35:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I often  remember the oft-repeated direction of our Michigan State U
choral  director, Charles K. Smith: "Always beautiful." If a passage
soars to lofty  heights in terms of pitch, let it do that and don't try
to help it by  yelling. Focus instead on singing the right pitches with
beauty and  phrasing.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Re:  E'en So Lord Jesus:

We tried it at the local Procathedral.  The anthem is easy  enough
to read musically, but the sopranos simply couldn't get it right,
and the O/C cancelled it and there was a replacement anthem.

I recall that dramatic time (during Advent naturally) when Paul
Manz was dying, and it seemed the entire church music world was
there at his bedside.  His beloved wife had died some years  earlier,
and Manz and his family looked upon his impending death as a
reunion event.  Never had the text of "E'en So Lord Jesus" been
more appropriate.  It was a sermon in the flesh for all of us

David S.