[Magdalen] Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 18:22:46 UTC 2016

On a trip to New York City in the mid-1950's I stopped at what was
then ubiquitous along the streets of Midtown Manhattan:  Vendors  selling
roasted chestnuts.  I don't recall seeing these vendors in recent  years.

I couldn't stand the roasted chestnuts (presumably imported from  Europe
since all American Chestnuts were dead of Chestnut Blight by then).
The taste was like I would imagine ground oak acorns to be.

My spouse bought some roasted chestnuts recently, and my memories
were confirmed.  IMHO they are awful.

Somebody must have thought chestnuts were tasty, hence the Christmas
song,  I'm all for the restoration of the American Chestnut, but I  suspect
the taste of those nuts is pretty much the same.

David S.