[Magdalen] New rector at my first Episcopal parish

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 29 22:06:37 UTC 2016

On 29/11/2016 21:10, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> My former spiritual directee, who will be ordained priest on the 10th, was given the title Rector when he was called to his current parish. I teased him about using that term, assuming he was, at most, Deacon-in-Charge. But he said no, his contract was intentionally written that way, and he was, in fact, the rector. From what he told me about the parish when he got there, I think the bishop wanted his authority to be clear. He has, of course, had a supply priest as celebrant since he's been there.

This side of the pond we sometimes have priests who have the Ordinary
authority of a bishop.  If someone is elected and confirmed as a bishop
diocesan then from that moment they have the authority of being the
Ordinary even if they have not yet been consecrated to the episcopate.
What is the status of someone in ECUSA who has been elected to be a
diocesan bishop and received the necessary consents, confirmed by the
Presiding Bishop, before they are consecrated?

Roger