[Magdalen] Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fires,

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:12:51 UTC 2016

I will trade for the African Tulip soup recipe.

You need a pit fire and a clay pot
(but sometimes I use a round covered corning ware baking dish and an
electric oven)

1 cup lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup barley, rinsed
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 can diced tomatoes
spices ... choose one set
(Middle Eastern: cumin, etc.)
(Italian: oregano, etc.)
(French: thyme, etc.)
Salt & pepper
add water nearly to top (but not to cover)

Do not fear the hot pepper! Add 'em if you like 'em.

Bake, covered, 350 degrees F for one hour

Stir in 1 sweet potato, diced
Any left-over spinach or other vegetables hanging out in the fridge
If desired, a handful of raisins (or currants) and nuts (pinenuts, walnuts,
or pecans)
If not vegan/vegetarian, add a cooked sausage, cut up (or any left-over
meat or game)

Bake 1/2 hour more
Serve with fresh cheese (or sour cream), hot pickled peppers, and warm
flatbread
A wedge of iceberg lettuce adds cool crunch
-M