[Magdalen] Fwd: LOST WORDS

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:29:31 UTC 2016

The dorm I was in longest was one of the lovely old ones, and I had a
single room. Each floor had a men's wing and a women's wing. You could
go to the other wing through the lobby, but I think only during
certain hours. Nobody was there to prevent access to the other wing,
but if you were there at the wrong time you were liable to be reported
to the RA.

I remember one morning when for some reason I decided to walk from our
communal shower/bathroom to my room naked (it was only a few steps),
and a neighbor saw me and said, "I hope a girl sees you." No, only he
saw me. Odd thing to say.

We seemed to have several nudists (I wasn't one, despite my daring
dash described above) on that floor, including a guy called Jens who
would strip naked and settle into the window sill in the communal
bathroom to floss his teeth. When I came in, he'd always leap up and
apologize profusely. I was trying not to stare or take much notice.
He'd cook naked in the communal kitchen as well (we had no cafeteria).
Saw that once, but I avoided the kitchen after seeing some large
insects in there.

One night I forgot to lock my room door and woke up in the middle of
the night to find another guy from my floor standing nude, with his
bathrobe on the floor, ordering me out of "his" bed. He was having an
insulin reaction, it turned out later. The next day he sheepishly
asked me if he had done what he thought he had done, and I assured him
there was no problem. We agreed I'd keep something sugary around that
he could eat if I noticed he was having a reaction again. I did lock
my door every night from then on!

I've heard of one or two colleges having clothing-optional co-ed
floors. Co-ed or not, I'm not sure I could have handled that. Now I'm
OK with nudity as long as it isn't meant to shock or offend people,
but back then I had hangups about it. I definitely think it would be
distracting!

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA