[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:20:51 UTC 2016

In brief, the feeder roots of black walnut give off juglone, which is
toxic to many other plants.  The feeder roots extend many feet beyond
the canopy of the tree so the affected area is very large.  Juglone is
also present in the leaves, stems, nuts, etc., although to a lesser
extent.  You can't sweeten the soil.  Growing tomatoes in containers is
the way to ensure success.

Marion, a pilgrim