[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Oct 2 01:56:05 UTC 2016

On 9/30/16 10:23 PM, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Is there not something that will "sweeten" the soil (garden lingo) to counteract the effect of the BW tree?  My father in law, God rest his gardening soul, battled the BW tree next door for 50 years.
> Lynn

I've always understood that sweetening sour soil has to do with bringing
soil that is too acid toward normal or slightly alkaline, though soil
that is _too_ alkaline wouldn't be called "sweet".  Some plants, like
tomatoes, blackberries, blueberries, poison ivy, like it on the acid
side, but most garden plants want it neutral or slightly alkaline.  You
do that by adding lime, or ground limestone for a gentler effect.  But
the problem with Black Walnuts is not a matter of acidity, but a
chemical the roots, and to some extent, the fallen leaves, add to the
soil, to which most plants are "allergic".

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net