[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 14:34:10 UTC 2016

In a message dated 10/1/2016 10:46:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

Thanks  for that thorough explanation Sibyl. I was using sweeten outside of
the  apparent context of soil nomenclature. I meant to question whether the
soil  could be neutralized by the addition of something so it would not
have an  adverse effect on the plants. It is interesting to know about the
reaction you  described.

I've always lived where the soil is on the acid side, and that's been
best for the plants I love.  Oak dominated areas tend to acidic,  and
some of the oak species don't do well in alkaline soil.  Same for  the
rhododendrons, azaleas and mountain laurel.  Conifers generally
like acidic soil, and such as red maple won't color as well in the  fall
without acid soil.

So, no sweetening for me.

David S.