[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Oct 3 17:25:59 UTC 2016

On 10/2/16 10:06 PM, Molly Wolf wrote:
> Numnumnum... will try the whole puréed fruit trick.

This is the specific recipe I was referring:

 From "Prevention" magazine

Try this recipe to make super-tasty muffins using ground flaxseed.  Flax
contains lignans, plant-based compounds known to shrink existing breast
and colon cancer tumors and stop new ones from forming in test tube and
animal studies.  Now that's a healthy snack!

1+1/2 c oat bran                  1 c brown sugar
1 c all-purpose flour             1 c buttermilk
1 c flaxseed, ground              1/2 c canola oil
1 c wheat bran                    2 eggs
1 Tbsp baking powder              1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt                      1+ 1/2 c golden raisins
2 oranges, quartered and seeded

1.  Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper
liners, or coat the pans with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine
oat bran, flour, flaxseed, wheat bran, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
2.  In a blender or food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar,
buttermilk, oil, eggs, and baking soda.  Blend well.
3.  Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients.  Mix until well blended.
Stir in raisins.
4.  Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes,
or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in
pans for 5  minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

Makes 24 muffins

Per muffin:  186 cal, 4 g pro, 30 g carb, 8 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 18 mg
chol, 3 g fiber, 140 mg sodium, 4 g flaxseed.

*Note:  We know this muffin is higher in fat than what we usually
recommend.  However, nearly half of the fat is alpha-linolenic acid--the
plant version of omega-3, which is sorely missing from most diets.  We
think  it's worth finding room for this muffin in your daily low-fat plan.

Recipe courtesy of Flax Council of Canada and Saskatchewan Flax
Development Commission.

(Sibyl) I have substituted 2 small lemons for 1 of the oranges.  It's
harder to seed lemons, especially because I usually use navel oranges
because of the seeding, but it comes out well.  I never keep golden
raisins on hand, because they're more expensive, but always use cheap
raisins, plumped.  I have added a few nuts or other things that I might
have on hand, and the recipe takes small amounts of inclusions quite well.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net