[Magdalen] Insurance screw-up.

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 00:12:14 UTC 2016

We had a meeting about coding problems at the hospital.

Turns out they were beginning the coding sheet with
M for Medicare or
D for Medicaid.
The over-pressured and under-trained (and under-paid) coders were beginning
each form with an M, which meant half of them were being rejected for
reimbursement by the Feds.

Someone (it was me, actually) suggested they stop using the M and
use code R for Medicare and D for Medicaid. Entering an M triggered an
error message. And it worked.

Sometimes the solution is simple.
-M