[Magdalen] Lasted a little longer...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 10 23:49:21 UTC 2016

On 11/10/2016 00:28, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> When the ban on same sex unions was lifted for the Diocese of Bethlehem
> (USA),
> there were a bunch of unions made public among the clergy.  Quite a  number
> of these relationships unraveled and there were new unions among the  same
> clergy. (This was before the SCOTUS decision on same sex marriage,  and
> before Pennsylvania permitted such marriage).
>
> +Marshall, Bishop of Bethlehem at the time, and a liberal in this  matter
> pointed out the casualness of many of these same sex relationships  and
> that there would be a limit for the clergy on numerous  rearrangements.

In modern life there can also be a casualness in heterosexual
relationships.  I am now Secretary of a local Rowing Club where we are
proposing a change to the Constitution to allow a reduced subscription
for close family members. The wording I have produced (which has been
accepted by the Captain) specifies "legally recognised relationship"
which includes marriage and (same sex) civil partnership. I will resist
any attempt to allow "common law marriage" which has no legal status in
the UK because if the difficulty of defining when a "living with"
relationship might be deemed to acquire some official recognition.
Saying that it has to be legally recognised means that the couple have
to go through a legal process which would require another legal process
to dissolve. It provides clarity rather than the confusion that multiple
casual relationships offer.

Roger