[Magdalen] Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 20 17:36:07 UTC 2016

>>>I remember my father's extreme agitation at discovering that the
local Northwestern Wisconsin Power Company had removed a dozen
of his prize Eastern White Pines (Pinus strobus) as a threat to the
power lines.  He had nurtured them from seed to about 30'.<<<

Reminds me of my Pop's story of the only time he "went down to City Hall to complain".  Seems that when the Logsdons moved into what I still call "the homestead", the back of the property sloped down to a road with no sidewalk, and on that hillside was a large amount of common ice plant (think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizoaceae#/media/File:Carpobrotus_edulis01.jpg ).  And even though it was outside the property line and fence, Pop adopted it as his own, tending, watering, you name it.  He was proud.  In the mid-70s, the road was re-paved and a sidewalk and retaining wall happened, causing city officials to decide (for reasons Pop was never able to relate to me, probably because he was so pissed) that the ice plant needed to go.  So, they sprayed it (during the day, of course, when Pop was at work), it died, and Pop went nuclear.  He "went down to City Hall to complain", and of course came home vanquished.  He never forgave the City of Salinas.  With any luck, that grievance didn't extend his stay in purgatory (providing, of course, he's no longer there).