[Magdalen] Junk phone calls

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:19:53 UTC 2016

I've been getting calls with "voicemails" that have nothing on
them--presumably the type of robocalls that only start if you say
something--but oddly, my phone hasn't rung before the voicemail signal goes
off. Then the calling number disappears from the list of "recents". This is
really bizarre and has only been happening since Sprint ate my carrier.

Which brings me to another rant. I *despise* Sprint, among all the bigger
carriers and had gone to pretty great lengths to avoid them. We'd picked a
regional carrier when we bought our new phones and had been very happy with
them. However, that carrier was absorbed this year by another regional
carrier which is owned by Sprint, and service has declined exponentially.
Where I used to always have 4 bars on my phone, I'm now lucky to have 3,
and in some places I now have no service at all. The capper was when I was
in Wise this past summer with RAM and couldn't call or receive calls. I'd
had service in that area with my previous carrier. Grrrrrr. When this
contract is up in the spring we WILL be looking at other options! Further,
I *will* be telling Sprint what I think in my farewell letter.