[Magdalen] DT reads

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Oct 23 16:13:40 UTC 2016

Nothing at all to do with DT, and I wish the subject line were
different, but at this time, I'm reading Harry Belafonte's "My Song: A
Memoir" autobiography, and I'm learning a lot of things about the Civil
Rights Movement from the inside, that nobody except Belafonte and the
principals involved with each story (people like Bobby Kennedy and
Rockefeller) knew at the time, or for long afterward, and a general
story of the history-- also a lot about Belafonte's own personal life,
that even a fan didn't know at the time.  I'm loving it!  It's also very
slow going, because I keep drifting off into my own memories.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Song-Memoir-Harry-Belafonte-ebook/dp/B004N63658/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1477235699&sr=1-1&keywords=belafonte+my+song

ObAng:  Martin Luther King, Jr. is a TEC "Saint" (April 2), and
Belafonte quotes an amazingly "prophetic" passage from his last public
speech, delivered hours before his death.

ObCurrentEvents: Bob Dylan's Nobel, and Belafonte relates his own first
meeting with Dylan, when Belafonte was a top singer, and Dylan was
totally unknown, when Belafonte needed a harmonica player for a
recording session, and the man he'd expected to use, at the last minute
couldn't make it-- so someone recommended a "skinny white kid", who
nailed it on the first take.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net