[Magdalen] MLK (was (Re: DT reads)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 24 07:24:40 UTC 2016

On 24/10/2016 05:33, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> Perhaps this is due to the Episcopal Church and the C of E having different
> calendars of saints?  Do we not have completely different prayer books and
> hymnals?
>
> Perhaps the procedure for putting a name into the list is very different?
> Our procedure certainly differs with that of the RCC.

Correct on every point. Our BCP is the 1662 one but I would guess most
services follow "Common Worship" which was published in 2000, succeeding
the 1980 Alternative Services Book. There is no official hymnal, which
can serve as a guide to how far up the liturgical candle a church is
when there are no other cues. The official calendar is revised
periodically, with the normal disagreements about whether a particular
person shoulr, or should not, be commemorated. Simon Kershaw may know
whether or not that is on the current list of things to consider.. The
procedure is certainly simpler (and cheaper apparently) than the RC method.

Another consideration is that this side of the pond racism has not had
the same legal framework it did in the USA against which MLK was
protesting. It existed, and still does, but race discrimination was
officially made illegal in various settings in 1965.

Roger