[Magdalen] MLK (was (Re: DT reads)

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Oct 24 16:55:04 UTC 2016

On 10/23/16 11:33 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> Perhaps this is due to the Episcopal Church and the C of E having different
> calendars of saints?  Do we not have completely different prayer books and
> hymnals?
>
> Perhaps the procedure for putting a name into the list is very different?
> Our procedure certainly differs with that of the RCC.

In ECUSA, the procedure (apart from the major traditional Saints, such
as the Biblical ones, and ancient ones like Patrick, who are usually
celebrated at least somewhere close to their traditional days, usually
the death day, when known) involves at least two General Conventions
voting for a new one.  Our sister, Carol Marsh, was involved in trying
to get a saintly Martyr, a soldier (a chaplain) from New Mexico in WWII,
who died in Japanese captivity, on the Calendar.  She and her group
prepared quite a biography, including saintly acts he'd performed in the
captivity, which she posted on Anglican, and I included at the time in
my Saint series.  I believe that it was presented to GC that year, but
am not sure.  He didn't make it all the way to the Calendar, mostly
because of chaos in the Rio Grande Diocese, not at all involved with the
man himself, but involving Carol.

I'd like to hear from Chad on this, he's the webmaster for the
satucket.com sites, including the most recent list of our official
Saints, the URL for which I posted earlier in this thread.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net