[Magdalen] RIP Fred Hellerman, 89.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Sep 3 21:28:08 UTC 2016

That is likely the concert I mentioned which I have on a Playboy LP. It was
on June 15, 1949, at the Univ. of Texas, and he died within the year.

To pique Roger's interest - there was a big foldout picture of Lead Belly
inside the Playboy LP. Fortunately, he was fully clothed.     ;=)

Lead Belly recorded for a number of labels other than Folkways (now owned by
the Smithsonian) and the Library of Congress. I have a Biograph LP of some
early (1935) work of his, and also the Library of Congress recordings on an
Elektra 3-LP set - which I presume the Smithsonian now has on CD.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com