[Magdalen] Horticulture.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Sep 5 03:00:48 UTC 2016

It's a very useful tree, cattle-proof as a hedge fence (thorny,
remember) with a whole row of them planted closely, as a bright yellow
natural dye, and the ideal bow wood.  My dad made a couple of bows from
hedge wood, and they worked better than the ones we bought.  It's too
heavy for arrows, though, a very dense wood.  I never could figure out,
after that kid won her Fair prize, with the publicity, why none of us
knew that we could eat the "apples".  It also makes the best fence
posts, because it takes forever for it to rot. It sort of deteriorates
from the outside, very slowly, and the inside of the post just gets
harder and harder.  Being so dense, it has a high heat efficiency
content for firewood, but its' disadvantage there is that you want to
have a closed stove and a very clean chimney, because it's like burning
a package of firecrackers, almost.  It helps to be deaf, if you're
burning hedge wood.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net