[Magdalen] Coffee Cups vs Wine Glasses

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:16:25 UTC 2016

Assuming reasonable care when carrying each around, I am guaranteed to
slop the coffee and virtually never slop the wine. That handle on the
side of the coffee cup/mug easily allows a lopsided situation.  It's
harder to hold the coffee mug straight and a lot easier to slop it when
walking.  I think simple harmonic motion kicks in here, too.  The wine
glass is held by the stem from below, a surer grip.  Also, the level of
wine in the wine glass typically is not as high relative to the
container so there is more 'side' above the wine level to contain the wine.

The wine is definitely more stable when you're carrying it. Placed on
the table, I can knock each over with great ease.

Marion, a pilgrim