[Magdalen] Coffee Cups vs Wine Glasses

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 7 15:28:11 UTC 2016

On 07/09/2016 15:34, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> The only aspect of sobriety that occasionally bothers me is that
> enjoying wine is not possible for me, at least. When I gave up booze
> for Lent 32 years ago December, the wine world was much smaller. It's
> not that there weren't good wines in Australia/NZ, Chile, Africa,
> etc., but they were not well known to North Americans (and I think
> Europeans, alike).

I agree they weren't well-known in the UK at least, and probably the
rest of Europe as well. A crucial factor in their widewr availability
must have been the development and standardization of stackable
containers that could be readily changed between different modes of
transport (sea, rail, road) which dramatically reduced the handling
costs. Deregulation of maritime shipping rates in 1984 also contributed.

Roger