[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 12 02:06:43 UTC 2016

The Orthodox Church and many if not all of the Eastern Catholics do not use it. The omission of the filioque was one of the items conceded to the Eastern Church somewhere between 1596 and the present. The Episcopal Church is joining the group that acknowledges it was unilaterally added by the Latin Church sometime after 800AD. The Nicene Creed was inscribed on stone in 800AD to commemorate the coronation of Charlemagne by Leo II. This is something that was repeatedly pointed out to be by one of my mentors Archbishop John of Chicago in the 60's shortly before the Metropolia was granted autocephaly by the Patriarch of Moscow. The Metropolia was the name of the jurisidiction of the Russian Orthodox Church that then and now runs St. Vladimir's seminary. filioque is considered a theologoumena something that may be widely believed but is not considered necessary to the understanding of the Trinity.

Joe