[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 04:20:54 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/11/2016 11:01:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jhandsfield at att.net writes:

. I'm  also quite sure that discussion has begun with the Metropolitan of
the Greek  Orthodox community.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There has been considerable ecumenism between the Orthodox and
Anglicans in the past, though the OW has cooled some of that  activity.
This ecumenism is usually with the highest level theologians.  At  the
parish level, or even the Orthodox jurisdictional level, it's been my
impression from observation and first hand commentary there is little
to no ecumenism.

It's clear to me that the Orthodox realize there are other ecclesial
communities calling themselves Christian (and this includes the
RCC), but at the end of the day, to the Orthodox,  Christian =  Orthodox.

I have told the story elsewhere of being at the ordination of a  former
Episcopal priest into the priesthood of one of the local 4 Russian
jurisdictions (the OCA).  TEC was the object of really  embarrassing
criticism that even upset the ordinand.  Ecumenism between the  OCA
and TEC are many light years away.  Maybe the Greeks are closer.

David S.