[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 19:30:22 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/12/2016 12:49:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I love  Greek church festivals in the summer, including the food and
the church  tour, but I keep quiet on the tour  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have the Annual Open House of the OCA Russian Orthodox Seminary
and Monastery, Saint Tikhon's, in the mountains above Scranton.   The
ethnic Carpatho-Russyn foods are marvelous as one parish attempts to
outdo the next.  They have a spectacular museum of icons to  browse,
and, yes, the bookstore with a very large selection of Orthodox
bric-a-brac.
As a friend of mine says, "You can never have too much Orthodox
paraphernalia."  Any discussions I've had with an OCA deacon I  know
have been with his genuine feeling to the effect that I should "just go
ahead
and become Orthodox.  It's the only logical action for anyone who  wants
to be a Christian."  There is a real inability to understand anyone  who
would NOT want to be Orthodox.

Since NE PA is one of the areas that gave birth to the OCA via its
intransigent RC bishops who grossly misunderstood the Eastern Rites,
you have numerous families split between the Byzantine Rite ("Greek
Catholic") and the Russian Orthodox.  There is interesting  intercommunion.
When asked about this, my deacon friend asserted that the Rite itself
is salvific and was more important than denominational boundaries.

David S.