[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 13 00:00:51 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/12/2016 6:25:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

I go to  a kneeling church (although, to tell the truth, most of us sit).
I'm not  able to kneel, so I stand. I'm not the only one who stands, and I
try to  sit over on the side and out of the sight lines.

Heard through the  grapevine that some of the older folks complained about
us standers. "Send  them to me," I told the rector, who paled a bit (we've
known each other for  a long time). I was all excited, thinking RUBRICS, but
he handled it  without my help  :-D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
When red is black:

This discussion would seem appropriate for the Anglican Church with  its
unique BCP history of the famous "Black Rubric" (1549). This required
kneeling
for reception.  The Puritans wanted reception while sitting.  The  Puritans,
even though there was a built-in disclaimer in the rubric, felt  kneeling
supported belief in The Real Presence or even Transubstantiation.

The printing of the Black Rubric went back and forth in various  editions,
but finally in 1662 it became the standard, albeit with a modified  text.

David S.