[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:15:56 UTC 2016

Scott>why we wouldn't > "just come home" to the "Catholic Church").

...come home eh?

I discovered over the weekend that the now three years on rector at the
church I've been at for 8 years, is a bit 'higher church' ahem, than I'd
realized. We do have quasi mandatory semiannual 'training sessions' for
lectors and LEM (lay Eucharistic ministers), but I  usually miss them due to
time of year and biz travel. It's been a while and so I dutifully went went
on Saturday.  I loved hearing his exegesis of the italic words in the BCP
which direct both priest and parish (you may sit or stand, for instance, I'm
quite familiar with these from many years ago, and how they 'work').... on
Saturday we heard that there were two kinds.... one mandates, the other
offers a choice, BUT... invoking 'theology', he told us that the priest
mandates our choice on the choice ones.... then he began to support the
various times these directives occur and what his expectations are for us
(not just us those up in the sanctuary, but us, his parishioners) and 'why',
theologically of course he wants it done a certain way, theologically is it
mandated to be done a certain way..... *Then* he spoke about other
denominations and how they were a bit loosey goosey, including the tradition
he had grown up in  - he was a Methodist.... (gave a few examples of
sacrilege (my word) in the churches of his youth).  I continued to smile
inside. Had no idea. I have come to understand that most of the under 50
Episcopal priests I've met and/or worked with who have come out of the
Methodist tradition tend toward high church in TEC and love obscure
rules.... I’m still smiling over his theological underpinning for what he
expects - a very personal one, IMO. Needless to say there were many there
who were thrilled with this detailed and special information.  Sigh.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr