[Magdalen] Weather!

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:31:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> The last time I saw a play at the American Players Theater near Spring
> Green,
> Wisconsin (and about an hour west of Madison) in their large outdoor
> amphitheater, there was flashing light off to the west on what was a warm
> and humid evening.  The play was a Greek tragedy and essentially everyone
> on
> stage was killed at the end.
>
> As the play came to that climax, the lighting found voice with more and
> more thunder, and at play's end there was a clap of thunder, and then
> pouring
> rain.  It was as though the whole thing had been planned to fit in  with
> the play.

Your story reminds me of a summer concert at Fort Monroe. I had asked
Russell Stanger, director of the then Norfolk symphony to guest conduct.
One of his selection was Mars from Holst's Planets. As the band was playing
that selection, a storm started coming down the James River towards Hampton
Roads. It seemed like the lightning was flashing in 5/4 time to match the
piece.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted