[Magdalen] Throwing a Cr*ppy Dinner Party

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 21:23:59 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/21/2016 5:06:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

"We  really would
like to see our friends and won't wait for a perfect time to  do
something fancy." Not really "crappy," but comfy and forgiving  >>>>>>>>>>>>

During the 20 years I lived in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, a city of some
68,000, I became aware that at a certain social level, everyone knew
everybody else.  Professionals - physicians, dentists, lawyers -  got
included in this inevitably.

There was an interesting stratification of the upper middle class  because
of the relatively small size of this class.  There were, at the top of  the
ladder,
several very big fish in a small pond - the owners of the Presto  appliance
company, headquartered in Eau Claire; the Menard Lumbar Yards
headquarters, the owner of the local and several regional coke (soda)
plants, and the owners of the local paper company, to name most of
them.

One of these upper crust persons had a way of social pay-back by  running
a series of evening soirees/banquets and just inviting everyone to  these
events.  I think surprisingly, these banquets worked out very  well.  They
were catered so that the banquet givers could move freely through the
crowds in their huge colonial style house nestled in a lovely grove  of
mixed tall Eastern White Pine and Norway (Red) Pine   The site  was
reminiscent of a Southern USA plantation house.

So, sometimes big is good.

David S.