[Magdalen] Cruz on Trump

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 03:34:01 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> It's interesting, though, that Merkel (Germany) has cobbled together
> votes from several parties to weald her power.  In the latest  elections,
> she lost considerable ground which may clip her wings somewhat.

She's got a Grand Coalition with the (farther left) SPD and another
party along with her CDU. Backlash regarding the intake of a million
refugees has led to the rise of the awful AfD (Alternatives for
Germany) party that Trump would love.

Interesting to watch Tagesschau (the German evening news, via
tagesschau.de) not only to watch my German boyfriend Thorsten Schröder
read the news but also to see how major issues are commented on by
leaders of all the various parties, each in their distinctive
headquarters briefing room somewhere.

The program to watch on tagesschau.de is labeled 20 Uhr (meaning 8
p.m.). It's just 15 minutes but delivers more actual news content than
30 minutes of CBS, NBC, etc. - due to no banter, no formulaic signoffs
by each reporter, and a general air of German efficiency and calm. And
some really attractive reporters. Wow.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA